Home / Community (page 10)

Community

Why We Love Sports: How a Walking Tour Made Me Think

Fans line up to see the Azzurri in the North End (photo courtesy of NorthEndWaterfront.com)

On a recent visit to the North End, I decided to explore the pride that is associated with Italians and sports. As a proud Italian-American, I already know that there is a special relationship that exists between Italians and their teams, but I wanted to see what else I could find. As I walked down Tony DeMarco way, it became apparent to me that there is a lot to explore. In my anthropological research, I learned that the question of ‘why’ is central to understanding any type of phenomenon. So, off I went to see how I could respond to ...

Read More »

Men Only: It’s All About Tradition Here

Bocce night at the Club

Bocce, gentlemen? Sorry ladies, this month’s article is about a men’s-only club! Recently, I was graciously welcomed for a visit at the Italian American Citizens Club of Lynn, where I had the great pleasure of meeting the club members. When I was first approached to write an article about their bocce league, I imagined that I would hear about the formation of a vibrant Italian community built around a traditional sport, which I will tell you about. Yet, what I found was much more and something that has left a lasting impression on me. Tucked away in the Brickyard neighborhood ...

Read More »

L’Aquila 3D, Inside the closed city Presentation

Filippo Frattaroli (right) presents British architect, Barnaby Gunning with an original Boston Garden seat at the conclusion of L'Aquila 3D, Inside the closed city. © Felix Cutillo

After nearly four years of painstaking work, British architect, Barnaby Gunning, assisted by a team of volunteer photographers, 3D modelers and Google engineers, brought the story of the closed city of L’Aquila to Boston, via MIT and FILIPPO Ristorante. L’Aquila, the capital of the Abruzzo region was damaged by a major 6.3 earthquake that struck at 3:32 a.m. on April 6, 2009 leaving thousands injured, 308 dead and their loving families broken. Images of hundreds of coffins, many of aspiring students and children, is an image that will stay in the collective memory of the compassionate forever. Most of the ...

Read More »

Nothing Typical About AS Roma Club of Boston

roma-home2

Calling all AS Roma fans! This one is for you! On a typical dreary damp Sunday in January, I met with Michael Rizzo, one of the founders of the AS Roma Club of Boston. What I learned is that there is nothing typical about this club. A very gracious and proud AS Roma fan, Mr. Rizzo provided me with countless facts that are little-known to many. Three enthusiastic organizers — Rick Antonellis, Marco Giorgini and Michael Rizzo — started this club because of their shared passion for AS Roma and to find a way to join forces with other supporters. ...

Read More »

Juventus not just a soccer club

Juventus-Club-Boston-1

Ciao, calcio fans! I must confess that this month’s article holds a very special place in my calcio-loving heart. I admit that I am a devoted Azzurri fan, but a very loyal Juventina. Like you, calcio brings me great joy. My passion for this beautiful game drives me to tell your stories regardless of allegiance. A notable international symbol of Italian sporting greatness, Juventus has had an amazing year! The current Scudetto champions, they are a club filled with international stars and supporters globally. In Boston, the Juventus Club keeps the spirit of i banconieri alive with local passion and ...

Read More »

Soccer and Society in Boston

Fans line up to see the Azzurri in the North End (photo courtesy of NorthEndWaterfront.com)

Benevenuto! The beautiful game is more than just a game. It's a magnificent display of social, cultural and national identity. Not to mention a passionate display of emotions and devotion.

Read More »

Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish in Boston Herald

Madoona050417

Taken from The Boston Herald http://bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/20221127century-old_history_at_our_lady_of_mount_carmel/srvc=home&position=4 The devoted vigil to save the shuttered Our Lady of Mount Carmel in East Boston reaches back generations to Italy itself. Parishioner Gina Scalicione said when she told an old Italian neighbor that she was immigrating to Eastie, he urged her to visit the church. “He told me ‘All that mortar that keeps those bricks and stone together I carried on a ladder,’ ” she said. If the Vatican goes along with the Archdiocese of Boston and allows the church to be sold, this beloved house of worship built in 1905 could be dust. The ...

Read More »

Italian Historian Emilio Gentile Visits Harvard, Dante

From left: Spencer DiScala, Emilio Gentile, Charles Maier, Renato Camurri, David Ward.

One of Italy’s major luminaries on the history of fascism, Professor Emilio Gentile, recently visited the Boston area to hold lectures at Harvard’s Center for European Studies and the Dante Alighieri Society in Cambridge. A professor at Rome’s Università La Sapienza and former student of Renzo De Felice, Gentile is considered one of Italy’s foremost cultural historians of fascist ideology. At Harvard, Gentile held a lecture on October 16, titled “The March on Rome: How Antifascists Understood the Origins of Totalitarianism (and Coined the Word).” The lecture was part of the first annual Gaetano Salvemini Colloquium in Italian History and ...

Read More »

Salvatore Cimmino Swims Across Boston Bay, Supported by Community

cimmino-home2

As Salvatore Cimmino rose out of the cold Boston Bay waters, he waved at the crowd waiting for him. “We are building a new bridge!” Salvatore cried out, as dozens of cheering supporters gathered just a few feet away from the USS Constitution in Charlestown. Salvatore’s 16-mile swim across the Boston Bay finished shortly after 2 p.m. on Saturday, September 22. It was the seventh stage of his 4-year “Swimming in the Seas of the Globe” initiative, during which he is reaching out to the world’s top scientists and researchers — as well as politicians and communities supporting his cause ...

Read More »

Unveiling of the Tony DeMarco Statue

demarco-home2

When: Saturday, October 20, 2012 — 1 p.m. Where: Corner of Hanover St. and Cross St., North End, Boston MA Former undisputed Welterweight Champion, Tony DeMarco, will attend the unveiling of his statue in Boston’s North End The pride of the North End, Tony DeMarco, “The Flame and Fury of Fleet Street,” the former undisputed Welterweight Champion of the World, will be on hand to witness the unveiling of his statue on Saturday, October 20th at 1:00 p.m. in Boston’s North End. The ceremony will take place at the site of the statue at the corner of Hanover Street and ...

Read More »

Supporting Italian Home for Children at 2012 Rodman Ride for Kids

rodmanride-home

The Italian Home for Children — one of Boston’s most enduring testaments to Italians’ spirit of giving and caring — will be represented with a team of six riders at this year’s “Rodman Ride for Kids,” an umbrella matching gift charity raising funds for youth focused social-service agencies that support at-risk children in Massachusetts. The annual 25, 50, and 100-mile noncompetitive cycling tour has raised $61 million since 1991. Riders supporting the Italian Home for Children include Francesco Daniele, George Forte, Becky Pietronuto, John Ratcliffe, Stacey Conroy, and Matthew Sykes. “I will participating in the 50 Mile race,” says East ...

Read More »

Harvard and M.I.T. Faculty Talk Architecture at Venice Biennale

Views of SpontaneousInterventions: design actions for the common good. (photo courtesy of U.S. Pavilion at the 13th International Venice Architecture Biennale (Fall 2012).)

Several Harvard faculty members traveled to Venice last month to take part in the 13th Venice Biennale of Architecture, a three-month contemporary architecture festival that will run through November 25. Among the faculty members was Harvard Graduate School of Design Dean Mohsen Mostafavi. “The Venice Biennale provides an important opportunity for the architecture and design community to share and debate innovative ideas from across the world,” Mostafavi told the Harvard Gazette. “As leaders in practice as well as teaching, an impressive number of GSD faculty were involved in the extraordinary installations, projects, and discussions that addressed the exhibition theme of ...

Read More »