Home / Community (page 8)

Community

Yolanda Cellucci Receives 2014 Designing the Next Generation Award

Cumar’s Dawn Carroll presents the award to Yolanda Cellucci

On Friday evening, September 5, Cumar Marble & Granite was thrilled to present Boston design legend Yolanda Cellucci with the second annual “Designing the Next Generation Award” during a VIP reception at the Charles River Museum of Industry and Innovation. The award spotlights the importance of mentoring across generations and cultural barriers—not only to the field of design, where it is vital, but also to the work of creating a better society. Founded by Cumar in 2013, in partnership with the Over My Shoulder Foundation, a mentoring-awareness nonprofit, the award’s inaugural recipient was Governor Michael Dukakis. For more than four ...

Read More »

Conservatorio of Boston Finally Gets a Plaque

mazzulli-conservatorio-home

A ceremony celebrating Boston’s — and supposedly the country’s — first conservatory of music was held at the Hyatt Regency Boston on August 27. Spearheading the effort to have a commemorative plaque installed on the Bedford Street facade of the Church Green building where the Conservatorio originally stood, Teresa “Terri” Mazzulli started researching the landmark 15 years ago, “in order to bring recognition to three European immigrant musicians, teachers and composers,” she says. “In 1800, Francis Mallet of France, Gottlieb Graupner of Germany and Filippo Trajetta of Italy established the American Conservatorio of Boston, the first conservatory of music in ...

Read More »

Ferragosto: Differences between Italy and United States

Chiuso per ferie

When I was a little child, August was my absolute favorite month. The world seemed to slow down, to the point of grinding to a standstill. My hometown of Rome becomes a ghostly desert of stores closed for vacation and tourists roaming helplessly through narrow streets to find a “nasone,” the typical water fountains one can find in the Italian capital. No locals can be found, especially on Ferragosto, August 15, which marks the holiday celebrating the Assumption of Mary. There is even a funny Italian movie I recommend, called “Pranzo di Ferragosto” (Mid-Summer Lunch), which deals with some of ...

Read More »

85th St. Rocco’s Feast a Huge Success

Group

The St. Rocco’s Feast committee members should pat themselves on the back for putting on one of the best feasts in the history of St. Rocco. A few of Malden’s finest talents, such as Paul Gilligan, Dave Russo, Charlie Farren and Joey Voices drew crowds of thousands to Pearl and Thacher Streets. The aroma of sausage sandwiches, meatballs, freshly shucked oysters, fried dough, espresso coffee and cannoli were only a few from the vast choices of food on display all weekend. The St. Rocco procession weaved through the streets of Malden stopping often for devotees to pin money onto the ...

Read More »

Red Sox Land Italian Rising Star Nicolò Clemente

41759_hp

There’s a bright future for the Red Sox, and it’s colored in green, white and red. On July 2, young baseball star Nicolò Clemente signed a multi-year contract for the Red Sox, becoming the first Italian to ever join Boston’s roster. At 16, the native of Pianoro (Bologna) became the youngest Italian to sign for a Major League team, following last year’s signing of shortstop Marten Gasperini for $1.3 million with the Kansas City Royals. The amount paid for Clemente was undisclosed, but the right-handed pitcher hardly cared about money. “It’s my life’s dream,” he told reporters after signing his ...

Read More »

Neapolitan Youth Takes Part in Second Annual PIB Sailing Contest

PIB members at the organization's second annual sailing contest

For the second year in a row, Professionisti Italiani a Boston has partnered with Italian sailing powerhouse Mascalzone Latino to give teenagers from underprivileged neighborhoods in Naples the chance to sail on the Charles River. Guided by instructor Antonio Dell’Omo Beneduce, Salvatore Pistone and Laura Canzanella — both 13 — took part in several sailing events held by local schools Courageous Sailing Center, MIT Sailing Club and Community Boating. “It was the best experience of my life,” said Laura, who finished the competition with the best time. “This experience has taught me that if I really want something, I have ...

Read More »

St. Leonard’s Pastor Padre Antonio Nardoianni

nardoianni2

St. Leonard is wrapped in scaffolding to the point of not looking much like a church anymore. Even the sounds (including some of the language used by the workers) are not very church-like. As I wait for Padre Antonio Nardoianni, pastor of what is basically the only fully functional church left in Boston’s historical Italian neighborhood, I find myself thinking, “Maybe they should put extra signs — not for the locals, of course — but certainly for the tourists.” In fact, my refection wasn’t totally off mark. The fact that the Rubenesque Franciscan friar, who has led this parish for ...

Read More »

AS Roma Gets Ready to Face Liverpool at Fenway Park

Roma11

On July 22, players from Italy’s Serie A squad AS Roma practiced at Tufts University’s soccer field, one day before the friendly match against Liverpool FC of the English Premier League. Among the Roma players, international stars Francesco Totti and Daniele De Rossi were also present. Here are some pictures we took: All photos by Nicola Orichuia. Please contact us for permission to use them.

Read More »

UMass Amherst’s Angela McMahon Named Head Coach of Italian National Lacrosse Team

lacrosse

The Italian Lacrosse Association has named women’s lacrosse head coach Angela McMahon as head coach of the first-ever Italian national team, which will compete in the 2017 FIL World Cup in Guildford, England. Justin Serpone, who is McMahon’s husband and the men’s soccer coach at Amherst College, will serve as co-head coach of the team. McMahon, who will continue to serve as head coach for the Minutewomen, is tasked with building the Italian national team over the next two years as it prepares for its first world championship event. The first test for the squad will be the 2015 European ...

Read More »

Italianissimo! Gala Event Draws Supporters for Future Italian Cultural Center

Consul General of Italy in Boston, Giuseppe Pastorelli, at italianissimo! 2014

Boston was awash in green, white and red on May 31, when the third italianissimo! gala organized by the Friends of the Italian Cultural Center was held. Set in the Burnham Building downtown, the event attracted hundreds of members of the community and beyond in a sign of support for establishing a new Italian cultural center in the city. “It is a great project and I hope to see it come to life by 2016-17,” said Italian Consul General Giuseppe Pastorelli — the driving force behind a project that started over three years ago. Boston Mayor Martin Walsh, chair of ...

Read More »

Consulate Honors Six at Achievement Awards

Group

Four stunning paintings by Caravaggio, currently on loan at the Museum of Fine Arts Boston, were the backdrop to the fourth annual Achievement Awards handed out by Italian Consul General Giuseppe Pastorelli.

Read More »

Global Premier Soccer Masschusetts Donates Soccer Balls to Italian Home for Children

gps-italian

On Feb. 21, Global Premier Soccer – Massachusetts traveled to Italian Home for Children located in Jamaica Plain, Boston, to donate soccer balls to the children to use on the organization’s soccer field. Established in 1918, during the first fifty years, Franciscan sisters devoted their lives to raising and teaching thousands of children at the Home. As decades passed, the needs of the children arriving at the Home began to reflect more complex crises. Today, the Home’s focus is providing residential and day treatment services for children of all nationalities with emotional and behavioral needs. Licensed by the Commonwealth of ...

Read More »