Home / Community (page 9)

Community

Valentina Oppezzo Wins ‘Most Avant-Garde’ Award at MIT Trashion Show

oppezzo-trashion-home

Italian fashion designer Valentina Oppezzo recently took home the "Most Avant-Garde" award at the 2013 Trashion Show.

Read More »

Italian Cultural Center of Western Mass. will give Serviam Award to Joseph Garde, Rocco Mesiti and Angelo Puppolo

untitled

This story was printed by the Republican Newsroom The Italian Cultural Center of Western Mass. will present its 2013 Serviam Award to Deacon Joseph Garde, Rocco Mesiti and state Rep. Angelo Puppolo Jr. at an awards celebration brunch at St. Anne Country Club, 781 Shoemaker Lane, Feeding Hills on Jan. 5, 2014, at 11:30 a.m. The Serviam Award is given to individuals with Italian ethnic heritage who have devoted their lives to the betterment of society through community service and who have enhanced the Italian-American communities throughout Western Massachusetts by exemplary works. Garde is an Italian American who has dedicated ...

Read More »

Andrea Bocelli Foundation & MIT Team Up for Workshop

bocelli-home

The Andrea Bocelli Foundation and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Boston have co-organized a 1-day workshop in which names of international excellence in the fields of scientific and technological research and social impact will take part.

Read More »

Fashion Icon Rose Cherubini Celebrates 100 years in Style!

cherubin-home

On Aug. 1, SoWa’s Samsøn gallery celebrated fashion designer Rose Cherubini’s 100th birthday in style. With the artist in attendance, guests were able to view dozens of handmade dresses that were once sold in Cherubini’s stores in downtown Boston. Born in Boston in 1913, Cherubini opened her first shop at the age of 33 in Quincy, where she had grown up with her parents, both Italian immigrants from the Abruzzese town of Fossacesia. Noting that most of her clients were driving in from Boston, the artist moved her shop to Newbury Street in 1951, staying there until 1967. After running ...

Read More »

Larry Giordano of Methuen Receives Achievement Award

Larry Giordano

Larry Giordano of Methuen received the Platinum Life Achievement Award from the World Head of Family Sokeship Council during their 21st annual awards ceremony in Orlando, Fla. The WHFSC — an elite gathering of martial arts grandmasters and masters — lauded Giordano, 68, for his 50 years of service as owner of Giordano Family Methuen Karate Association. Giordano began his karate training while in the U.S. Air Force at age 17. In addition to guiding thousands of students through the ranks, he served on the Methuen Police Department and as a state representative and commissioner of public safety. An active ...

Read More »

World Cup Fever: Here it Comes!

Andrea_Pirlo_and_Xavi_Euro_2012_final

Recently, loyal soccer fans watched the Confederations Cup. As a devoted fan of the Azzurri, I too watched with anxious anticipation and clenched my jaw as the Azzurri ran up and down the pitch.

Read More »

Bocce rules!

Playing bocce in the North End.

There is no mistaking that summer is upon us. Everyone is out and about, gatherings are in full swing and everywhere you turn someone in the Italian community is talking about bocce. But what exactly is this game and how do you go about playing it? After hearing about some very exciting tournaments and heated competitions ending with trophies being awarded along with bragging rights, I decided to do a bit of research to find out more about this time-honored and very Italian sport. Though the rules are simple, bocce is extremely difficult to master. Great skill and acumen are ...

Read More »

Amici di Boston Tennis Tournament a Big Hit

Stefano Salimbeni and Maurizio Voi shake hands before the final.

The first edition of “Amici di Boston” tennis Tournament came to a close on Saturday, July 13, with a well-rounded 6-0 victory by Bostoniano’s very own Stefano Salimbeni. Maurizio Voi conceded defeat in an all-italian final match played at the MIT tennis club in Cambridge. The organizers of the 8-player direct elimination challenge were also all Italian. The tournament was open to contenders of all nationalities. “It is a way to create a sense community,” said chief organizer Giuliano Rubini who, ran the show from the beginning and concluded by hosting a well attended award cerimony barbecue dinner by the ...

Read More »

Addio Boschetto’s, You Will Be Missed

From left: Rocco and Bartolomeo De Stefano, Carlos inside Boschetto Bakery (now closed).

A business that symbolized the Italian spirit that came to the United States at the turn of 20th century shut down operations on Sunday, July 7. After more than 110 years, Boschetto’s Bakery on Salem Street, in Boston’s North End, has ceased its activities due to a sudden steep increase in rent. I’m saddened by the news. Although I cannot claim to have been a regular customer (I do not live in the neighborhood), I still felt a strong tie to the bakery, where I had spent several hours one cold February night in 2012. In that occasion, I got ...

Read More »

Youth is served at GPS Milan Boston

gps-milan-boston-home

When you hear the name “AC Milan,” what probably comes to mind are dramatic displays of athletic prowess on far-off soccer pitches or larger-than-life personalities like Mario Balotelli with his bleached Mohawk. But did you know that AC Milan has a local connection? Located in Newtown, GPS Milan Boston is helping young athletes improve their soccer skills, enhance their passion for the game and strengthen their ability to play as a team. But according to Mr. Cesidio Mazzola, Director of Soccer Operations, the program’s commitment to its young athletes goes much deeper than the game itself. A native of Italy, ...

Read More »

Sister Cities Boston and Padova Join Forces for Second Edition of italianissimo!

italianissimo-2013-home

Celebrating 30 years as sister cities, Boston and Padova came together on Friday, June 7, at the Boston Public Library for the second annual italianissimo! gala event. Raising funds for the promotion of Italian language and culture, as well as for the creation of a future Italian Cultural Center in Boston, the event was organized by the Italian Consul General of Boston Giuseppe Pastorelli and was was co-chaired by Mayor Thomas M. Menino (who could not make the event due to recent health issues) and Italian Minister of Economic Development, Flavio Zanonato, former mayor of Padova. Over 350 guests weathered ...

Read More »

Take Me Out to the Ballgame: North End Athletic Association

John Romano and Parents

Summer is the time for baseball! Who enjoys an afternoon in the warm summer sun while the cheers of a baseball game echo from the local park? We do! For this month’s column, I spoke with Mr. John Romano, baseball coordinator for the NEAA: North End Athletic Association. Mr. Romano told me about the various programs offered to teach children and teens about baseball and to build teamwork skills through fun. Approximately 150 children, boys and girls, and young adults ranging from ages 4 to 21 participate in the NEAA’s offerings. “The older age groups tend to be more competitive ...

Read More »